Monday, December 31, 2012

A year in review 2012.

With the end of 2012 quickly upon me I wanted to take a few moments to reflect on all that has transpired in the last 12 months that have impacted my life and the lives of those around me. Also, to show all of you who read this that good things do happen and that patience is truely a virtue that is undersold.

School
I was accepted and completed my first two semester of graduate school . While this is an accomplishment in itself it is a big stress especially for us with TBI's and PTSD. I would find myself becoming very agitated at myself for not understanding material I thought was simple. I would seclude myself and then get over anxious about a paper or required reading. I am now working with a Speech Pathologist as well as an Occupational Therapist who will teach me not how to study but how to learn with and use my disabilities to my advantage. I will keep you all posted on the skills that I learn so that maybe you can benefit from them too.



Disability Rating
I was notified that I had received a disability rating of 70% for PTSD. This stunned me, scared me and really kind of put me in the dumps. I understood what PTSD is but to actually have someone tell you that you have it and that it impacts your life so substantially it requires medical help is a hard pill to swallow. But I took this as a sign that I as a counselor have the unique ability to empathize with my veteran clients because I too have seen the horrors that are associated with war. I continue to learn coping methods and my own symptomology just so that I am self aware. I was accepted into the Vocational Rehabilitation services with the VA and am excited to have them help with school.



New family and new beginnings
My daughter and her four children (ages 8,6,3,2) left Arizona and moved into my modest 3 bedroom home. I have not had small children in the house for years and the noise that is associated with them was quickly remembered. While it is a big change that I my Fiance' and her 11 year old son have had to take head on its been a experience I would never change. It is good to have family that will help out no matter what the cost and equally great to be able to be this involved with my grandchildren as they grow up.



Old friends and new friends
I am amazed that I have the friends that I have. Each and everyone of them are a treasure that I hold tight. My best friend Jerry and his wife Nancy have kept me sane through many trials this year and I am honored to call them friends. As I move towards my 20th month of retirement (not that I am counting) I can't help but feel like it seemed so long ago that I was wearing ACU's and holding morning formations.

I hope you all have a wonderful New Years celebration and hold tight the memories of your year. My friend and I were talking yesterday about what a great journey our lives have been and that we should never take that for granted because we have comrades, friends and Soldiers whose journey was cut short. RIP John Hallett, Tom Troy, Bill Jacobson, Clint Gertson, Graham, Dennis Williams and all my boys I will see you on the high ground

Death Dealer 7, Out


No comments:

Post a Comment